Is Your Listing Pretending to be For Sale?
BLiz's post (Move Along, There's Nothing To See Here!) served as a catalyst for this post. BLiz talked about poor photos and no photos at all on an MLS listing.
There are other ways that listing can be disguised as homes for sale. Here are just a few examples:
- Grossly overpriced listings
- Lack of creativity in descriptions
- Not enough info about the home itself in the description
- No description at all
- Lack of home features (where specific fields are available)
- Contact info of agents that never answer or return calls
- Incorrect lockbox codes in agent notes
- Unreasonable showing instructions (i.e. available to show ONLY on Mon and Wed between 1pm and 3pm)
Clearly the best listings have
- Great photos that invite the buyer into the house.
- Descriptions that go far beyond "won't last long" and nothing or not much else
- Showing instructions with short notice were possible and not limited to specific windows of time
NOTE TO SELLERS: You should be just a little bit curious as to how your listing is presented in the MLS. It's okay to check up on your listing agent to see how they are presenting your home for sale (if it really is for sale that is).
Do a Google search on your address and see where it is showing up and how it's being presented (sold) to the world. Give credit where credit is due, but everyone recognizes a lousy job when they see it. Buyer's agents will immediately know how committed the seller is based on the information contained in the MLS. Above all, make sure you're not the culprit of "pretending that your home is for sale" by insisting that it's overpriced.
Charita Cadenhead, Your Metropolitan Birmingham, Alabama Real Estate Broker of Choice
Got a question about Metropolitan Birmingham real estate? Just ask Charita. Need a good Realtor(R) to help you find a new home or sell the one you already own? Just shoot me an email. In need of a rental property? Subscribe to be notified whenever we list a new or home for sale.
Charita H. Cadenhead, Realtor®
Keller Williams Realty Metro North
Gardendale, AL 35071
Search for properties at Charita Cadenhead's website
(205) 527-1112 - cell
(800) 496-7431 - Fax
One thing about being in real estate: I can't hide even if I tried. Charita Cadenhead: I'm Everywhere You Want to Be!